Wednesday, September 17, 2008

#792 John Tudor



Why this card is awesome: Because looking at the back, one stat really sticks out: 10 shutouts in 1985, with only 4 others in the rest of his career up to that point. And, and this card is awesome because it's the last one in the regular 1988 Topps set! WE'RE DONE!

Cool stat: Tudor is a forgotten man of the 1980, but he was one of the top pitchers. From 1982 to 1990, minimum 1000 IP, he had the 4th-best ERA+, ahead of Saberhagen, Gooden, and just about anybody else you can think of.

It's interesting that in the trade of Tudor for Pedro Guerrero that happened in the 1988 season, neither player ended up working out well for their new team. Guerrero did have one excellent year for the Cardinals in 1989, but Tudor's injuries prevented him from doing much for the Dodgers at all.

11 comments:

Timberhill said...

Congrats on making it through the entire set, and thank you for doing so. It's been a fun nostalgic trip through the prime year of my youthful baseball card collecting.

I look forward to the 88 Tiffany and 78 Topps set.

tookee said...

Love the blog. I'm a big fan of the 88 set and I look forward to the Tiffany and 78 Topps (I have complete Topps from '73 on, so I'm a big fan of the 70's sets, too).

Congratulations!

Matt S said...

Congrats! This has been a fun blog to follow. I'm here every day!

Steve Gierman said...

It's been an awesome ride!

I can't wait for the other sets to be given the blog treatment.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

James B. Anama said...

Congratulations. I love the job you did on this blog as 1988 Topps was the set that got me really involved in this Hobby.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

Jamin said...

Awesome job!! I've been here from the start as well, and I look forward to the other sets.

Motherscratcher said...

Do you think anyone will donate a complete set of '52 Topps for you to do?

Seriously, what a great blog. thank you for doing it. Looking forward to '78.

Neil said...

I really enjoyed this - thanks.

Andy said...

Thanks, everybody, for your encouragement and your participation!

The ZaZ said...

I loved watching Tudor pitch. He was money and I echo the sentiments here, this blog was great.