Tuesday, August 19, 2008

#622 Kal Daniels



Why this card is awesome: Because of the mention of future Pittsburgh GM, Cam Bonifay, on the back. It's interesting how varied the scouts are--some are future GMs, working their way up the ladder, while many are former players or executives, effectively working their way "down the ladder" to retirement. This card also has an all-black background just like Barry Larkin's.

Cool stat: Daniels is one of just 10 players to have multiple seasons since 1901 with 25 HR, an OPS+ of 150, but no more than 450 AB. That's a pretty nice list to appear on: 3 HOFers (Ruth, Ott, and Williams) plus 4 more with at least approximate HOF-caliber careers (Ramirez, Thome, Bonds, and McGwire.) Daniels' problem was that he couldn't stay healthy.

7 comments:

Luke said...

CAM BONIFAY: HUGE reason why the pirates are the way they are...

McClatchy and Littlefield didn't help either. (winning-wise)

capewood said...

Look at that 0.324 average and 26 HR in 1987. I thought Kal was gonna be a big star. But it was not to be. Kal hit more than half of his home runs in just tow of his 7 years as a major leaguer.

Andy said...

Cliff--why do you prefer to always put that leading 0 in front of batting averages?

capewood said...

It's probably the engineer in me. I don't even think about it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I accidentally deleted my previous comment when I was going to edit it so here it is:
This guy was a madman in my Strat-O-Matic league in 1988. I had the potent combo of Pete Incaviglia and Kal Daniels on my team then. This blog reminds me of my early high school days, back when we would trade baseball cards, play Strat-O and then do all the stats ourselves in pencil so we could update them each week. I've recommended this blog to a few of my friends from those days that I still talk to. Very good stuff.

Andy said...

thanks shakatak!