Wednesday, September 10, 2008

#735 Kevin McReynolds



Why this card is awesome: Because of the mention of Adam Ging on the back. He never made the big leagues but has quite an unusual name. I wonder what his middle name is? At least he got his name on a big-league card.

Kevin McReynolds was one of the key players on the day I fell in love with baseball. I was at a Mets-Phillies game (this one) with a couple friends. He took one pitch, a ball, and I remember thinking that Don Carman was just not getting things done for the Phillies. Out loud, I said that I thought McReynolds would homer in this at bat. About 3 seconds later, he did just that, to the amazement of my friends. Then, on of them said they thought that the next batter, Darryl Strawberry, would homer too. Three pitches later, he did just that too. We were all pretty excited and gleeful, and that feeling has pretty much never left me.

Cool stat: With just a bit of luck, McReynolds could have been considered a star. From 1986 to 1988, he was the only player to top 90 RBIs ever year without ever topping 100.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't McReynolds playing left field when a batted flyball hit a bird causing it to drop in safely for a hit?

capewood said...

Great baseball story. But Carman still won the game. And Bruce Ruffin got the save! I didn't remember Ruffin doing any relief work for the Phillies then but he saved 3 games that year.

Unknown said...

Does anyone know if the cards I have are worth anything anythin.Its this card but doesn't have the picture just stats