To get some cards, you don't need to make any guesses or click any ads (though that would be nice if you felt like it.) All you need to do is make some kind of link out there on the internet back to the 88 Topps cards blog, and I will send you any 5 single cards from the 1988 O-Pee-Chee set, as long as they are still available (and meet a certain limitation.) Specifically, here's what you do:
- Post a link on any other site. (More details on what I mean, plus important rules and limitations on this, below.)
- Send me an email at 88topps at gmail dot com.
- Include in the email to me all of the following: a link to the site (and/or specific blog post or comment) that you posted your link onto, the 5 cards you would like (plus some backup choices would probably be a good idea), and the name and address you'd like the cards sent to.
With the cards you pick, there is one limitation, which is that only 1 can be from this list:
4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 25, 30, 35, 39, 40, 45, 60, 61, 64, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75, 80, 86, 88, 89, 90, 100, 102, 120, 134, 150, 157, 165, 168, 170, 173, 178, 179, 186, 189, 192, 194, 195, 200, 210, 211, 231, 240, 243, 247, 250, 253, 267, 274, 275, 287, 295, 300, 311, 312, 314, 320, 321, 336, 340, 360, 361, 370, 373, 374, 385, 394, 395
Click here for the 1988 O-Pee-Chee set listing, linked from OpenChecklist.com.
These are stars, semi-stars, HOFers, checklists, draft choices, managers, etc from the O-Pee-Chee set. You can pick 1 card from this list, and 4 other cards from the rest of the set. If you pick more than 1 card from this list, I am going to ignore your entry. (But to be clear, you CAN specify a backup choice if you like. Or, if your first choice isn't available, I'll email you and tell you that you need to pick a different card. This goes for the stars etc as well as the common cards. But if you send me just a list of 5 cards and 2 or more are on the above list, I'm ignoring your entry.)
As I gradually send out cards, I will post an updated list of cards already given away at the very bottom of this post, so you should probably check that first before making your submission. Also, keep in mind that O-Pee-Chee cards are not as high-quality as Topps cards, and generally feature rougher edges, lighter card stock, etc. I'm not making any promises about the cards being perfect examples.
Now, here are the rules and limitations as far as creating links:
- A "link" can be lots of things. If you are a blog owner, it can simply be a link in the sidebar of your blog. Or, it can be a post that mentions 88 Topps Cards and includes a link somewhere in the post. If you are a commenter, it can be a comment on any blog, newsgroup, etc, as long as it's something that readable without requiring a log-in. I would prefer your link to expressly mention the name of the blog, but that's not a hard-and-fast rule. (As of now, I am ruling out myspace pages or myspace blogs.)
- The link can be a general link to the main 88 Topps Blog page, or can be a link to a specific card's page. It can even be a link to this giveaway page if you want.
- Please, please, PLEASE: do NOT spam anybody's blog or website with a link to this blog. You need to make links or posts that make sense in the context where you are posting them. It's fine if your comment trashes my blog, as long as it's on an appropriate website. So the place where you are posting better have something to do with baseball, baseball cards, collecting, statistics, individual teams or players, etc. There are many, many relevant blogs out there, including (for example) team-specific blogs having nothing to do with baseball cards. Many readers of those blogs would enjoy a link to a card from that specific team, considering the posts here have photos and stats.
- As I verify links, I am going to post them at the bottom of this page. Please check there first before you make any link, to ensure that no one particular blog or site gets bombed with comments. Please keep in mind that many baseball card blogs out there already include some kind of link to this site.
- Also, I absolutely WILL give credit for already-existing links. If you've previously made a link that's already out there in cyberspace, you get credit for that. As mentioned above, a lot of baseball card blog authors have already very kindly linked to the site, and you guys are already in. You just have to email me, following the general rules above.
- Generally, I am going to rank the entries based on which emails come in first among those that I can verify. However, I am going to give special consideration to other authors of baseball card blogs. Some of these folks have helped this blog get off the ground very quickly, plus they are obviously collectors who have a genuine and strong interest in these cards.
- I'm not setting a time limit on this giveaway. If this post is months old and still appears to be open, give it a shot!
Baseball-Reference.com Stat of the Day
Cards ALREADY given away:
3, 7, 8, 15, 21, 23, 29, 33, 35, 37, 239, 44, 45, 47, 49, 60, 67, 68, 70, 78, 85, 87, 88, 89, 90, 92, 99, 101, 105, 109, 110, 120, 127, 132, 133, 135, 145, 155, 160, 163, 168, 171, 172, 177, 179, 184, 185, 195, 201, 206, 207, 209, 210, 211, 218, 220, 222, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237, 240, 247, 259, 266, 267, 269, 275, 277, 286, 295, 289, 290, 296, 299, 300, 301, 305, 309, 310, 311, 312, 314, 315, 316, 320, 324, 326, 329, 332, 335, 341, 343, 344, 348, 350, 352, 357, 361, 366, 367, 375, 378, 379, 384, 385, 388, 389