Tuesday, September 2, 2008

#686 Terry Francona



Why this card is awesome: Because I guess this must have been Santa Claus day at the ballpark, given that there are two of them in the stands.

This is a nice card of another future manager, the current Red Sox skipper.

Francona is also the son of All-star outfielder Tito Francona.

Cool stat: It would seem pretty rare to have more doubles than RBI in a season, and in fact Francona has one of just a handful of seasons with 19 or more RBI and 18 or fewer RBI. I'm not able to search in general for years with more doubles than RBI, but I bet they are pretty rare.

2 comments:

Johngy said...

Any idea who the Cincinnati Red in the background is?

Andy said...

I have no idea whatsoever, except that I know that during spring training, the manager and coaches sometimes sit in that area to get a better look at guys. I'm not sure if this is a ST shot, though.

It's definitely not Pete Rose, though.